I may brush up on my knowledge of Mexico, so I thought a fact blog may be in order.
1. The official name for Mexico is the United Mexican States.
2. It is Mexico that brought the world chocolate, chillies and corn.
3. It is located in the ‘Ring of Fire’, meaning it lies in the earthquake and volcanic zone.
4. The Aztecs played a ball game called tlachtli, where the loser would be sacrificed to the Gods.
5. Texas was once a Mexican province until it declared independence from Mexico in 1836. This resulted in the war with the United States. ( 1836-1838)
6. Mexico’s flag is made up three vertical stripes. The left green stripe is for hope, the middle white stripe represents purity, and the right red stripe represents the blood of the Mexican people. The picture of an eagle eating a snake is based on an Aztec legend.
7. Before 1958, women could not vote in presidential elections.
8. The Chichen Itza Pyramid in Mexico was named one of the new Seven Wonders of the World.
9. Mexico is home to a very rare rabbit called the volcano rabbit which lives near Mexican volcanoes.
10. The largest wildcat in North America is the jaguar, which can be found in Mexico’s southern jungles.